Thursday, November 6, 2014

Recipe: Smoky Chicken and Cheesy Potato Crockpot Casserole


So, um...yeah.  Technically, it's no longer "Crocktober" considering that was a little pun for October, and it's now November 6th.  Oops.  Forgive me, I'm posting this recipe anyway!

Smoky Chicken and Cheesy Potato Crockpot Casserole

Original recipe found on Better Homes and Garden: http://www.bhg.com/recipe/chicken/smoky-chicken-and-cheesy-potato-casserole/

Ingredients:
  •  10 3/4 ounce can condensed cream of chicken with herbs soup
  • 8 oz sour cream
  • 28 ounce package frozen loose-pack diced hash brown potatoes with onion and peppers, thawed (I couldn't find any that had peppers and onions included, so I just chopped up my own and added them in)
  • 3 cups chopped smoked or roasted chicken or turkey (I have no idea what's involved in locating a roasted chicken or turkey, so I just threw a regular chicken breast in whole then shredded it at the end)
  • Crushed croutons (optional)
Directions:
  1. Lightly coat the inside of a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. In the cooker combine soup, sour cream, cheese, frozen potatoes, and chicken. (I use crockpot liners, so I skipped the cooking spray part)
  2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours. If desired, top each serving with crushed croutons. Makes 6 servings.

Above is the finished product in my crockpot (I forgot to crush the croutons, so we kind of had to do that as we were eating, oops!)  Below is the picture from the BHG site, which looks remarkably more delicious:

photo courtesy of bhg.com

Review: I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it.  Brian thought it was really good and cleared his plate. Jake wouldn't try it (no surprise there, he has an intense fear of melted cheese), and Liam took one bite and declared it "no good".  Take all of those reviews with a grain of salt, I suppose :)  As I said, I didn't love it or hate it, so I'm not sure that I would make it again, but it was super easy to make and it made a ton so it would be an easy meal to throw together if we were having other family members over or something. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...