Thursday, March 6, 2014

Misunderstood

The boys love to listen to music, and their taste is quite eclectic; one day they will request rock and roll, the next day a Disney soundtrack, and 10 minutes later, the latest pop song.  Not only is it cute to hear them sing these songs, but it's even better when they flub the lyrics.  Sometimes it's less of a flub, more of a mispronunciation...like when Jake sings "Hakuna Matata" from the Lion King and in the part where it says, "...it's our problem-free philosophy", he says "phisosofy" (fi-saw-so-fee)

 I understand their difficulty in lyric interpretation; for years I never knew the name of the Rolling Stones song "Beast of Burden" and I thought the lyrics were "I'll never be in your big suburban".  It wasn't until I was singing it in the car a few years ago and Brian called me out on it, and then pointed out the fact that no one was driving around a Suburban car back when the song was written.  oops. 

My most recent favorite was when Jake was singing the Lorde song "Royals", and instead of singing "you can call me queen bee", he said "You can call me green bean!" with absolute certainty that someone would request to be called a vegetable. 

Liam always questions the name of the song on the radio, as well as who sings it.  If I know the answers, I supply him with that information.  Last week we were driving and "Everlong" by the Foo Fighters came on, so I told him the song and the artist.  When the song went off he said "I really like that song!"  Fast forward to this week and it came on again in the car and Liam said "I love this song!  This is the Food Fighters!" :)





2 comments:

Jennifer @ Also Known As...the Wife said...

I am the queen of misunderstood lyrics. I used to sing White Snake's "Here I Go Again" with the lyrics "like a twister I was born to walk alone" instead of "like a DRIFTER".

I also am terrible at interpreting or reading into the song. Case in point: "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus". I was well into my 20's before my mom explained to me that no, this was not a song about some kid seeing his mom cheat on her husband with Santa Claus that the husband/dad was in fact Santa Claus.

Sara said...

Oh Indeed! I love the misheard / misunderstood lyrics and questions about the songs and artists. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...